Sunday, June 6, 2010

Getting Ready

Hey everyone! Kara here. The three of us are going to be taking turns blogging before, during, and after our trip, and I'm up first!

As most of you know, I've been counting down the days to this trip since January! I remember being in the hundreds... hard to believe we're in the single digits now! We leave in 5 days. We went over to the Smiths' house yesterday and packed up a bunch of crates full of things to bring to the Hill: medical supplies, shoes, clothes for the kids, etc. (I'm going to try to get a picture of our group at the airport with all our stuff - it's going to be pretty hilarious. There are 9 of us, and between us I think we have 18 carry-ons, 8 big suitcases, 8 crates, and two guitars.) Now that we've started packing, it's beginning to sink in that in less than a week, we'll be in Africa. I am SO excited. But as the trip gets nearer, I'm starting to get a little nervous too. For twelve days, I am going to be COMPLETELY out of my comfort zone. I have never been to a third world country, or anything even close. I am so accustomed to my way of life, and I take so much for granted. I've been thinking a lot lately about the things I'm going to be without during the trip. My big comfy double bed, air conditioning, my cell phone, running water, bathrooms with showers and toilets... I'm going to miss all these luxuries. But I think it's so important for me to take a break from this life that I've come to know, and to go see what life is like on the other side of the world. I think that when I return, I will appreciate all that I have so much more. I am truly blessed to live where I do and to have such a comfortable life. Even though it scares me a little to leave behind everything I know, I couldn't be more excited. I have been looking forward to this trip for two years, and now it's right around the corner! I am so excited to see what God does through this trip - how He uses us and what He teaches us.

I cannot WAIT to get to the Hill and meet all the kids. For years, I've seen pictures and watched videos and heard stories from friends who've visited... I already feel like these children are part of my family. Now it's FINALLY time for me to go meet them in person! I'm especially excited to meet Nentaya, the little girl we sponsor. After exchanging letters with her for two years, we finally get to see her face-to-face! I feel like I'm about to cry just thinking about it. Nentaya is SUCH a cutie. I can't wait to meet her. Oh, and I'm bringing her a Butler University t-shirt so she can show her Bulldog pride. Yay! :)

There are 74 kids at the Trans Mara Children's Home (although only 72 are there right now, because 2 are in high school in Nairobi), and I am really looking forward to forming relationships with as many of them as possible. I have been trying to learn names & faces so I can recognize them when I get there... so far it's not going too well, haha. I know about a dozen, maybe more? I'll keep working on it. I have an extreeeemely long plane ride coming up, which will give me plenty of time to "study"!

Anyways, like I said, Mom, Joel and I will each be posting in this blog as often as we can. We're not totally sure how often we'll have access to the internet in Kenya, but we'll do our best to keep you all updated! It's going to be an adventure, and we're excited to share it with all of you.
Please pray for us to stay SAFE and HEALTHY during our trip! Thanks so much :)

Love,
Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment