Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hi I'm Joel

And I'm going to do one of these blogs now.

So I was sick until about noon today, and very worried that I wouldn't get better before we left. Being sick on a plane for 18 hours and then being sick in Kenya wasn't what I was picturing for this trip. Luckily, I'm better now. Thanks to all who prayed for my health.

Speaking of what I'm picturing for this trip... I had this picture in my head of what it would be like for a really long time, but recently I've realized that it is probably going to be nothing like I pictured. It's going to be like nothing I've ever done before. It's going to be scary, alien, and difficult, but it's also going to be one of the most beautiful and amazing things I've ever done.

I'm hoping to get a new understanding of life from this trip. I'm hoping that I will not take things for granted like I do now. I'm reminded of a quote from Dr. Cornel West. He was in a plane getting ready to take off, sitting in coach because money was tight at the time. He said, "Coach is cool. It's a blessing to be on this plane at all. Blessing to be alive. Blessing to be on this journey of love." That is so right. People complain all the time about things like that: being stuck in coach on a plane, being stuck in traffic, having to drink water instead of coke. We don't realize how blessed we are to be able to travel the world in a matter of hours, drive wherever we want, whenever we want, and get a drink anytime we choose.

I've been fascinated by the kids at the Transmara Childrens Home ever since my family first became involved with Oasis. I was perplexed by the fact that they were so happy in their situation. Here they were, poor, orphaned, some of them sick, yet they had the biggest, most genuine smiles I've ever seen. They seem happier than many kids in America who have everything in comparison, myself included. I have so much to learn from these 74 kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment